Begin your path to homeownership with Habitat for Humanity
Ability to Pay
✅ Must meet all of the following:
- Monthly income must be <$46,720 for a single individual or see table here for families
- You must have been in full time employment least 1 year (or 6 months in same line of work as your previous position) or part time employment for 2 years
- Have less than $1,000 in delinquent debt
- >640 Credit Score
Willingness to Partner
🛠 For a successful relationship between Habitat for Humanity of Effingham County and potential homeowners, these obligations must be met by applicants:
- Be willing to complete at least 250 hours of “sweat equity” (volunteer hours)
- Accept a home in neighborhoods where Habitat for Humanity of Effingham County is building
- Participate and complete Homeownership Preparatory Training and Educational Workshops
- Make a down payment of 2% of the purchase price of the home & pay monthly mortgage.
Need for Housing
✅ Must meet one of the following:
- Living in an inadequate shelter due to problems with heating, water supply, electricity, etc.
- Living in overcrowded conditions
- Spending more than 40% of income on housing (rent + utilities)
- Residing in Section 8 or Public Housing
- Residence is not secured by an official lease agreement
*We are proud to partner with My Home Pathway for our application process.