Homeownership applications are currently being accepted online. Review the information on this page and then click the “Apply Online” button near the bottom of the page.
Applying for a Home
To carry out our vision, we partner with individuals and families from application through construction to when the keys are handed over.
By working with us from beginning to end, we can help prospective homeowners prepare for the various responsibilities of home ownership, including learning about personal finances, mortgages, maintenance and upkeep of homes, and much more.
Habitat’s path to home ownership is an important and in-depth process, requiring hard work, time and dedication. But this helps to ensure the long-term success of Habitat homeowners. It generally takes a over a year from the time of application before a family can move into their Habitat home.
Are you eligible?
To qualify, all applicants must have lived or worked in Effingham County for at least one year and must demonstrate the criteria listed below. If you are married, you must submit the form with your spouse. We cannot accept your application if you are separated.
Ability to Pay Mortgage:
Monthly income must be between 35% and 80% of median income for Effingham County (see chart below) to meet routine expenses, maintain the house and make monthly mortgage payments. Mortgage payment including taxes, insurance and termite bond cannot exceed 30% of your gross monthly income. Monthly payments of all other debt cannot exceed 13% of your monthly gross income.
Maximum General Income Guidelines:
Family of 1: $46,720
Family of 3: $60,080
Family of 5: $72,080
Family of 2: $53,440
Family of 4: $66,720
Family of 6: $77,440
(These numbers are based on a median income for a family of one through eight in Effingham County.
An applicant who qualifies for a Habitat house must make a maximum yearly income of 80% of the median income of families their size. Source HUD Income Limits Documentation)
You must have been on your full time job at least 1 year (or 6 months in same line of work as your previous position) or part time job for 2 years, have less than $1,000 in delinquent debt, and if you have a credit score, it must be above 640 (if no credit score, you will need to meet non-traditional credit guidelines). A fee will be charged each applicant to obtain a credit report.
Please use these websites to determine your credit eligibility:
*This reports scores from two of the three credit bureaus. If credit is pulled from all three credit bureaus, your score may vary.
**This will provide your credit report but not your credit score.
This site will give you your credit
Need for Housing (you only need to meet ONE of these criteria):
- Living in an inadequate shelter due to problems with heating, water supply, electricity, etc.
- Living in overcrowded conditions
- Spending more than 40% of income on housing (rent + utilities)
- Residing in Section 8 or Public Housing
- Residence is not secured by an official lease agreement
Willingness to Partner:
For a successful relationship between Habitat for Humanity of Effingham County and potential homeowners, these obligations must be met by applicants:
- Be willing to complete at least 250 hours of “sweat equity” (volunteer hours)
- Accept a home in neighborhoods where Habitat for Humanity of Effingham County is building
- Must make monthly mortgage payments (per agreement)
- Participate and complete Homeownership Preparatory Training and Educational Workshops
- Make a down payment of 2% of the purchase price of the home
Apply Online to Habitat for Humanity of Effingham County
After submitting your online application your must make an appointment to bring in the following items and documents to complete your application:
- $35 Fee each applicant and co-applicant (if applicable) (CHECK OR MONEY ORDERS ONLY)
- Copies of last (3) three months pay stubs for each applicant (also for anyone (18) eighteen or older earning income, who will live in the home)
- Copies of the last (2) two months bank statements of each applicant
- Copies of the last (2) years of completed and signed tax returns & W2’s of each applicant
- VETERANS: Copies of DD-214 FORM (DISCHARGE DOCUMENT)
- Copies of last twelve (12) months utility bills, such as Georgia Power and water bills (if applicable)
- Copies of a driver’s license or state identification card for each applicant
- Copies of social security cards for each family member/resident
- Copies of Divorce Decree/Separation papers (if applicable)
- Verification of SSI/Disability for all applicable household members
- Court Ordered Child Support or Alimony Income (if applicable)
If you are unable to apply online, contact our office for assistance.
Our administrative offices are located at 3605 GA HWY 21 S, Rincon, GA 31326, Telephone 912-826-6433.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the nation. We affirm and support an affirmative advertising and marketing program in which there are no barriers to obtaining housing because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin.